Little Treasures Chapter 9

 Chapter Nine - Veiled Insecurities

It was months since she last flicked through a bridal magazine, let alone bought one, and the thought of trying on gowns with Guy’s sister made Chloe want to hurl, so the only reason the moth-eaten veil she found crumpled in a heap at the bottom of the box of treasures was of any interest to her was because of its connection to her family – her other family. It was a floor length, Point De Gaz piece, circa 1910; Chloe knew that because of her mothers collection of vintage wedding photos. 

Ludmilla Brady found a picture of a 1920’s bridal party amongst hundreds of other old photos at a flea market at the age of twelve, and had amassed more than a thousand of them by the time she died. It was the one very un-hippy thing about her. The photos were presently languishing in a storage locker, and Chloe knew she should probably make a decision soon as to whether she should hold on to them for sentimental value or have a valuer tell her what they were worth and sell them to the highest bidder, but she didn’t want to think about that right now. 

What she couldn’t help thinking about was the fact that she felt no attachment at all to something that was so important to the woman who had loved her unconditionally from the moment she saw her, but felt the need to hang on to a moth-eaten piece of cloth (albeit a posh one) worn by people who were, in essence, complete strangers. More perplexing still was the absolute certainty that she’d seen the veil somewhere. She took the box with her to the bedroom in which she had found it, so Guy couldn’t get his prejudicial hands on it, and put it down on the floor in front of a full length mirror next to the dresser. She took the veil out of the box, unfolded it, and put it on. She was looking at herself, but someone else was staring out at her. 

You know me. 

‘Do I?’ 

You’ve seen me. 

‘Have I? Where?’ 

‘Who are you talking to?’ 

Chloe ripped off the veil and whirled around. 

‘Nobody.’ 

Guy stepped over the bedroom threshold. 

‘Sounded like you were having a deep and meaningful with somebody; you sure one of your crazy relatives isn’t hiding somewhere in here?’ 

‘Is there something you need?’ 

‘Whatcha got there?’ 

Chloe quickly folded up the veil and held it close to her chest. 

‘Nothing.’ 

Guy smiled his patronizing smile and walked slowly toward her. 

‘I promise I won’t throw it away; won’t even threaten to.’ 

Chloe held the veil tighter. 

‘I said, it’s nothing. Leave me alone.’ 

Guy stepped back out into the hall with his hands held up in mock salute. 

‘Okay.’ His smile weakened a little. ‘Listen, I know I make fun a lot, but I understand how hard it must’ve been to find out about your family when you did, the way you did and if I’ve ever made light of that, I haven’t meant to. I guess I’ve always just taken my family for granted because they’ve always been there, but it’ll never be that way with you. I love you.’ 

It was the first time he’d ever said it without punctuating it with a nudge or a wink, and it was clear he meant it. 

Chloe put the veil in her pocket and shut the door in his face. 

‘Um, okay…I’ll be downstairs, if you need me.’ 

Chloe could actually hear the hurt in his voice. 

She liked it.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOST IN AMAZON